This is actually very easy to configure and setup. The following instructions assume that Exchange is being used. So please feel free to modify "here and there" as necessary.
First, you need to make sure your SharePoint Farm has SMTP enabled. Next, after following the instructions on MSDN do the following (or have your Farm Administrator do the following):
- Open Central Administrator
- Click on the System Settings heading.
- Under the E-Mail and Text Messages (SMS) heading, click on Configure incoming e-mail settings.
- You may see a few messages if this has never been setup before. The SMTP service must be running on the farm. Refer to the MSDN link above if you need help configuring this.
- Enable sites on this server to receive e-mail? (Yes)
- Use the SharePoint Directory Management Service to create distribution groups and contacts? (Yes)
- This may take a little bit to render the page as jobs are cleared.
- You can reconfigure the job timer for emails, if necessary. Please note that if the job doesn't run properly you should check security on your "Drop Folder".
- Document library
- Form library
- Picture library
- Announcements list
- Calendar list
- Discussion board
- In the List use the ribbon to access the List Tools | List | List Settings.
- Under the Communications heading you should now see an Incoming e-mail settings option. Click on it. If it isn't there, you need to recheck your settings within Central Administrator.
- Allow this list to receive e-mail? (Yes)
- E-mail address:
- Enter an appropriate address. The @domain.com should automatically be appended with whatever your Farm Administrator has setup on the server.
So there you have it. A very simple way of setting up your SharePoint lists to be updated via email.